How to obtain knee Pain Relief with Osgood Schlatter Disease
It is very difficult to obtain knee pain relief with Osgood-Schlatter. This disease is the inflammation of the area just below the knee, where the tendon from the kneecap meets the shinbone.
Osgood-Schlatter disease tends to occur in active young adolescents, often during a growth spurt. At this time tendons grow quickly, but not always at the same rate. This can cause stress and injury to the growth plate at the top of the shinbone during exercise. The disease mainly affects boys, but as girls become more active in sports, they too are being affected. To obtain knee pain relief can require a lot of effort and attention to detail.
- Tightness of muscles around the knee
- Pain, swelling or tenderness below the knee that worsens with exercise
- Limping after exercise
- Pain that decreases with rest
- Frequent physical exercise during a growth spurt
- Common activities that may trigger the disease are jumping, running, football, basketball etc.
Self Treatment for knee pain relief
Osgood-Schlatter disease usually goes away on its own at the end of the growth spurt, however, symptoms during an attack can be eased by:
- Resting the affected knee or knees
- Cooling the affected area with ice
- Elevating the leg or legs
- Using an elastic knee bandage for knee pain relief
- Changing exercise routine
Clinical Treatment for Knee Pain Relief
- An x-ray may be taken to determine the cause of the problem.
- Anti-inflammatory medication may be prescribed, to help reduce inflammation and obtain some knee pain relief.
- An exercise program devised to tone and strengthen can help to avoid further injury
- Surgery may be used as a last resort
- Shoe orthoses and Podiatric Biomechanics treatment can help with knee pain relief
If you would like further information on the wonderful benefits of regular Podiatry or more details of our Tai Chi and therapies service, please click on this website link provided:- Podiatryandwellbeing.co.uk
Our aim is to help you in any way that we can.